The Kozel Family

The Kozel Family

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cookie Decorating

    Sugar cookie decorating has been a Christmas tradition in my house for as long as I can remember.  Grandma  (my mom) would make the dough and we would cut out our favorite shapes with an assortment of well worn cookie cutters.  We always used the biscuit cutter with the doughnut hole attachment to make wreaths.  Grandma would bake the cookies for us and then we would decorate them with a variety of icing colors.  This is the BEST icing in the world--Aunt Terri's recipe.  I remember always feeling a little sick to my stomach as we got to the last tray of decorating, as I had probably ingested as much icing as I used on the cookies.  We got more and more creative as the years progressed.  One very clear memory for me is when Uncle Jim turned a snowman cookie upside down and decorated it like a Rastafarian.  I didn't exactly scream Christmas, but it was very interesting nonetheless!   

Uncle Jim and me--stripes must have been all the rage.

I don't remember the cookies ever looking this good, but apparently they did!

Rachel decorated cookies with us many, many times.   I don't know why we don't have a picture of her, but here is the rest of her family joining in.   (Luke, Uncle Jim, me, Rocky, Sheila, and Papaw's front)


As I've gotten older, the tradition has remained intact.  A few years ago, we started decorating the sugar cookies up here at our house, with Grandma still in the captain's seat.
Last year's decorating extravaganza

Bella and Wyatt concentrating

We always buy plenty of sprinkles

Taste Test:  Two Thumbs Up!

So proud!



This was the first year that I took on the responsibility of making the cookies and the icing myself.  Since I'm not as brave as Grandma, I decided that I would make the dough, roll it out, and bake the cookies beforehand.  After a brief phone consultation with Grandma, I made two batches of cookies.  This resulted in well over 100 cookies.  Wyatt, you decided to help me, and we spent over two hours rolling and baking.  It was such a special time for just the two of us.  I can't believe you spent the entire time working with me!  We invited a few friends over the next day, and it went pretty much as I expected.  The boys decorated about three cookies each and then raced around the basement while Bella and the moms finished the rest!  Everyone had a great time. :)  Note to self:  one batch will be quite enough for next year!
Jimmy, Bella, Quentin, and Wyatt



Bella's signature style

Leo enjoyed watching. 

A different kind of snowman

Can you tell the grown-ups started helping?

Lily decided to nap through most of the mayhem.

Lily, I'm looking forward to the time when you will be able to join us in this family tradition.  To be able to share an experience I loved so much as a child with my own children is such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment