The Kozel Family

The Kozel Family

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Who ordered the mung beans with a side of lint?

Lily:

I want to tell you about your adventurous eating before something changes (as it always does!).

Breakfast:  A Power-Packed Smorgasboard!
Knowing how our days go, I try to put everything healthy in the world into your breakfast.  That way if (or, in our case, when) schedules fall apart in the day and you eat carpet lint for dinner, I don't have to feel so bad about it.

At this moment your breakfast includes:
1.  avocado mixed with one of the following--broccoli, kale, spinach, or asparagus
2.  a fruit (usually banana, prunes, pears, or applesauce)
3.  porridge:  a combination of any/all of the following--brown rice, millet, barley, oats, red lentils, garbanzos, split peas, and mung beans + tahini + flax seed + kelp powder
4.  When you have had enough, I put some cheerio-type cereal on your high chair for you to feed yourself while I clean up.

I'm envisioning you reading this when you are about 15 years old and saying, "Really, Mother?"  You eat all of this happily, though.  I have physical proof:


Lunch:
You always eat a serving of plain yogurt + wheat germ and something orange.  Sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, and pumpkin are all on the menu.  I used to have to mix your yogurt with some other flavor, but now you are fine with it plain.  Grandma told me that she used to make her own yogurt and I thought she was nuts.  Turns out it's not difficult at all, or I am just as nuts as Grandma.  Wyatt likes the yogurt too, although he prefers his spiked with fruit preserves or put into a smoothie.  

Snack:
This is almost always tofu chunks, which you double-fist into your mouth.  Sometimes you will also feed yourself small pieces of carrot or a Mum-Mum, which is a rice rusk oval-shaped wafer that Daddy swears is mostly styrofoam.  Every time you see me coming with a Mum-Mum you wave your arms and smile and get really excited.  Then you grab it and, "CRUNCH!"

Dinner.
You usually have porridge again and whatever I haven't fed you before during the day. 


Other things you enjoy eating:
Life cereal
store-bought chicken or turkey dinners (I tried making my own before--you were NOT impressed)
kiwi
green beans
egg yolks (you eat one about every other day)
pineapple
grapes


Things you wish you could eat:
dog food pieces
periodicals
a twist tie
socks
a tumbleweed of dog hair found in a forgotten corner
any type of suffocating plastic
carpet lint
a plastic pirate sword
wood chips
dead leaves
dirt
small crumbs of anything on the kitchen tile floor
the tile floor itself (this is a new one--and quite interesting to watch)

You keep me busy.  Now that you know the drill, you don't even bother looking at what you find.  You just  shove it in your mouth as fast as you can, clamp down, and wait for me to pry it out while you fuss and thrash around a bit.  I feel like I do a good job keeping choking hazards and other grossness off the floor, but somehow you always manage to find something to get into.  I don't remember doing this as much with your brother--maybe I've repressed those memories.

On the upside, I'm really enjoying making your food and seeing you eat what I've made for you.  It's very satisfying and makes me feel better about all of the dog hair.  We'll see if I can keep this up once I go back to work in September.  No promises, but I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment