The Kozel Family

The Kozel Family

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Ghost Stories, TeeBall, and Corkscrews

Wyatt:

So, we were just reading together upstairs, as we do every night before bed.  In the book we were reading tonight, a tour guide told a ghost story to Horrible Harry and the rest of his class.  The book mentioned "The Boogeyman" and I was a little nervous that you might get scared.  You, however, could hardly breathe you were laughing so hard when I read his name.  You kept repeating, "Boogeyman?  Boogeyman!" and cracking up.   Apparently you assume he has something to do with boogers.  Works for me!


Today you had your first tee ball practice of the year.  We have been having extremely unusual and fabulous weather for several days, and we were happy to start this season in the 70s instead of the 40s.  Daddy is the head coach this year and I am the team mom.  To be honest, I've been a little anxious about tee ball this year.  It's scary how similar you are to me when it comes to competition and wanting to be the best.  I try my hardest to be gracious and be a good sport, but anyone who knows me knows that I ALWAYS want to win and I ALWAYS want to be right.  I don't care if it is playing along with Jeopardy, scrabble on the iPhone, or even just an impromptu discussion--I want to come out on top.  It's definitely not my best quality, and unfortunately you have inherited some of that.  I'm sure it was inevitable--you had to get at least of few of my genes.

Anyway, last year we had some issues of you not trying your best or even quitting if something didn't go your way on the field.  This happens sometimes with board games and other activities at home, too.  Daddy and I spoke to you about how you are one of the older kids on the team now and how you will be an example.  Then we both held our breath and hoped for the best at practice today.  You were FANTASTIC!  You hustled, you tried your best, and you had a great attitude.  I hope this sets the course for the season.  You have so much more fun when you can just let go and not worry so much about who's the "winner."  We also played a few rounds of kid-Monopoly today and you were very sportsmanlike throughout (even when I won).  It's pretty neat watching you mature and grow every day.   


Speaking of growing, you are exactly 47 inches tall with your white sneakers on.  So close.  You and I are on a mission, fueled by healthy food and plenty of play and sleep.  You have to be 48 inches tall by the end of summer.  For several years in a row Daddy and I have gone to Cedar Point on the Friday before Labor Day.  All of Ohio and most of the surrounding states are already in school by that time, so we have the park to ourselves (barring a few Canadians and some stowaways from Michigan).  This year we've decided to make it a family event, so you just HAVE to be 48 inches tall.  48 inches is the golden measurement--an all-access pass to the Millenium.  The Magnum.  The Corkscrew.  You are just dying to go on these coasters, and I am right there with you.  We were both concerned about you growing a whole inch in only six months, so I did some research about it on the Internet.  It turns out that children grow an average of 2 1/2 inches per year, and that kids grow more in spring than in any other season.  With this new found knowledge, we are both fairly confident that this inch can and will happen.  We'll check your height again around the end of school.  If we haven't seen a lot of progress, we may have to start stretching you or something.  Maybe we could put you in a taffy puller like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Hey, it worked for Mike Teevee...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment